Asian Afro Perm


Yup, that’s right your eyes aren’t deceiving you. You’re looking and man with a real authentic afro. The first time I saw this picture I was shocked, confused and slightly offend. Once I realize the reasoning for the hairstyle came from a place a admiration and not reticule, I fell in love with the idea of races and cultures embracing natural African American hair.


This is possible thanks to the Asian Afro Perm(or Reggae Perm), a treatment done throughout Eastern Asia that makes normally straight hair curl to give the appearance of coarse hair. Isn’t funny how they can find the beauty in African American hair and yet most of  us born with this hair can’ accept and embrace it freely. What do you think about this trend?

2curls1comb

3 comments:

  1. I dunno.. I guess it's cool, but I do have to wonder about their intentions. They often don't more than surface level hip-hop culture (what's shown on tv or what's popular on the internet), and I feel like black culture goes way deeper than that.
    Whatevs, I CAN ACCEPT MY HAIR. I just accept straight more often than curled :P
    Love you guys! Keep these posts coming! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that they don't necessarily fully embrace or understand the culture but I do like the fact that they find the black hair aesthetically pleasing. black women change the texture of their hair all the time to match the texture of another culture.

    ReplyDelete