Michelle Joni:Offensive or Fro'fensive


Michelle Joni Before
 
So I'm sure we've all heard about Michelle Joni and her magical afro. For those that are a lil unaware of who she is I'll give quick briefing: Michelle Joni is a 27 woman that…… to be honest I really don't know who this woman is and I could really care less. If don't care about her than why am I talking about her? Well recently Michelle started a blog (Before and Afro) that chronicles her how her life changed after wearing a wig. I know what you're thinking, clearly this wig must have been made by Jesus himself. Sorry to disappoint you but it isn't, it's just a cheap costume wig. So where does she wear this special wig? Only the places she feels it's appropriate, you know like a 70's themed costume party (the reason she bought the wig), The Do Over (a hip-hop block party in Brooklyn), and a NYC Food & Wine Festival Shake& Bake (which she referred to as a "fried chicken extravaganza"). As you can see she ignorant . No literally she just doesn't know any better, which is quite shameful nowadays in world where people love to state how socially aware. But who am I knock what make this woman feels good? Although she never really states exactly how changes her in such a way "it made me think, walk, see and experience life differently." She understands the cultural significance of an afro(in the 50's, 60's, and 70's but not today) but somehow she still doesn't understand how her wearing the wig is offensive. She's apologized and changed the color the wig to blonde, I guess in an effort to make things okay. But still the whole thing seems disingenuous, especially since there a allegation of her being a "tabloid whore."

and Afro
I as a black woman with natural hair I don't use my hair to make a statement. This is just me and how my hair naturally is. My hair isn't just acceptable at fried chicken fest and neighborhood functions. I wear this hair to work, the grocery store, the movies, weddings, funerals, cookouts, etc. I wear my hair because it's my hair, not because of how many compliments I get or nods of approval. I understand that a new hairstyle can do a lot for one's self-esteem but if this experience of wearing an afro is as profound as you say, why not commit fully. Why not begin to get perms to make your curly. TADA!!!! There you have it. Afro all the time!! Now you can be Fro'tastic, Fro'mazing, Fro'nomenal and any other word you can put 'fro' into. Michelle, I can see that you think the afro is a wonder'fro thing but that way you choose celebrate the afro appears to most of the world to be a mockery of African American hair.  The way you go about wearing it screams "Hey, look at me. Aren't I cool, eclectic, and hip?" Bottom line, it's offensive or fro'fensive as I think you would put it.

Am I the only that gets this vibe from her? What are you're thoughts?

2curls1comb

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought it was okay but then after exploring her blog a little bit more, I found it highly offensive.

    http://fredafro.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete